The Approved International Fair (AIF) scheme confers official recognition on selected trade fairs with proven international and commercial appeal. It plays a significant role in helping exhibitors and visitors identify trade fairs with strong access to global and Asian markets. AIF events are easily identified by the AIF logo and approved local exhibitors in AIF events are entitled to tax incentives.
SECB thoroughly evaluates an exhibition based on the benefits it brings to Singapore before according it the prestigious AIF stamp of endorsement. The criteria for the exhibition should include (but is not limited to) the following:
• It should be organised by a Professional Exhibition Organiser (PEO) and it should meet international standards
• It should be at the forefront of introducing innovative products and services of the industry represented
• It should generate trade revenue for the industry and economic value add in terms of establishing business deals among partner companies
• It should attract, at minimum, a pre-determined number of overseas exhibitors and visitors and occupy a pre-determined area of exhibition space
• It must have at least one successful showing in Singapore
SECB will accord AIF-approved events the use of the prestigious AIF stamp of endorsement. In addition, local companies participating in an AIF-endorsed exhibition are eligible for Double Tax Deduction (DTD. This allows approved companies to make deductions against their taxable income at twice the usual amount for eligible exhibition expenses.
Approved companies participating in AIF-approved events are eligible for Double Tax Deduction (DTD), which allows them to make deductions against their taxable income that can amount to twice the usual eligible exhibition expenses. Tax deductions of up to 200 percent may be allowed on qualifying expenditure, up to S$100,000 per Year of Assessment (YA) without having to seek approval from SECB.
To qualify, a company should meet the following requirements:
• Must be a resident company or has a permanent establishment in Singapore;
• Is currently not enjoying any tax relief under the Economic Expansion Incentives (Relief from Income Tax) Act; and
• Is exhibiting in approved local trade fairs
Expenses eligible for consideration include:
• Stand rental / construction / design costs;
• Publicity costs (e.g. printing of event-related corporate brochures, advertising, multimedia, banners/posters);
• Insurance for exhibits; and
• Cost of inviting up to 2 overseas buyers (i.e. airfare and accommodation) for the duration of event.
Businesses are not required to submit upfront documentation for expenditure that does not exceed the $100,000 threshold. Please take note that approval from SECB is required for businesses that need larger funding support, i.e. for expenditure enditure exceeding S$100,000.
For more information, download the Double Tax Deduction guidelines. (PDF, 345kb)
Please download application form here. (Excel, 78kb)