Built between 1908 and 1913, the Hong San See temple, located along Mohamed Sultan Road, was originally located at Wallich Street in Tanjong Pagar in 1836. Established by the Hokkien people of the Lam Ann clan, this temple is dedicated to Guang Ze Zun Wang, the God of Fortune. It later relocated to Mohamed Sultan road, and the temple now draws worshippers from different dialect groups.
Designed by Lim Loh, a well-known contractor, the temple, with its axial planning, courtyards and walled enclosures, is built in the southern Chinese traditional temple style. The prayer and entrance halls are richly decorated, with light reflecting the beautiful wood carvings from China. Four carved granite columns with entwined dragons and two dragons in pearl on the roof ridges are also a display of the Lam Ann clan heritage.
The Hong San See Temple was designated as a national monument in 1978. In 2010, it was also honoured with the Award of Excellence in the 2010 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation. The façade and the interior of the temple have gone through numerous restorations, with the first in 1868 when the old temple was at Tanjong Pagar area. Apart from Guang Ze Zun Wang, other deities worshipped here include Buddha and Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy.