Like event websites, mobile apps can be used as the springboard for all your event content – from the agenda, speakers’ bios and programme information to exhibitor listing, floor plans, social events and more. Mr Lee Yoong Foo, MICEapps Strategist at Ace:Daytons Direct, shares his insights on using this technology at your next event.
1. A good event mobile app can help to enhance the experience for all stakeholders.
Even before the event, delegates can use mobile apps for functions such as payment of registration fees, buying gala tickets and booking of hotel rooms. Concurrently, exhibitors can also book exhibition space using the same app. Upon arrival at the event venue, a welcome message can be sent to participants’ mobile phones with simple instructions for registration, for example, such as scanning the QR code provided and getting their badges printed instantly without having to go through the trouble of queuing. Used together with technologies like the iBeacon, these apps will be able to provide delegates, exhibitors and all stakeholders with an entirely new event experience.
2. Map out the mobile app strategy to achieve the goals of the event from the perspective of each key stakeholder.
To do so, organisers will first need to segment the different types of event attendees according to their interests. They can then tailor the mobile app to specifically cater to each of these key stakeholders’ needs.
3. Event mobile apps should not be created too near to the event date.
The ideal time for the mobile app’s launch should be minimally of 12 weeks before the event. This ensures that the organiser has ample time to introduce the app online and enable delegates and exhibitors sufficient time to download and explore the app prior to the event.
4. A good event mobile app should have all-in-one features.
Primary features for an event mobile app include:
- Enabling attendees to register, scan and print their badges via the app without any hassle
- Allowing delegates to comment and rate each speaker promptly during or after the session
- Facilitating onsite Q&A session using the mobile app platform, thus saving costs for rental of additional equipment
- Assisting one-to-one business matching and booking of appointments for participants onsite
- Creation of personalised agendas for each user
5. Check your Wi-Fi capability.
It is vital to determine the Wi-Fi capability of the chosen event venue to ensure that the app can be fully utilised throughout the entire event. This is especially critical if international participants are expected at the event, to ensure they enjoy seamless connectivity and access to the app and its functions without having to pay for expensive data roaming plans.